Posts for tag: restorative dentistry
No two smiles are alike, but everyone should strive for the best oral health, function and appearance possible. That includes closing any gaps in your smile. St. Louis dentist, Dr. John Monaco, offers outstanding tooth replacements called dental implants. Inserted into the jaw bone for optimal strength and function, these realistic artificial teeth last and last, and they avoid the harm missing teeth cause. Could dental implants be right for you?
What's a missing tooth or two?
Tooth loss from gum disease and decay impacts approximately 120 million Americans, says the American College of Prosthodontists. Besides changing personal appearance and self-confidence, smile gaps lead to gum and bone recession, poor oral function and an aged facial appearance. If you have missing teeth, you know the problems very well.
What's the alternative?
Dental implants are today's best solution for tooth loss. Instead of simply setting on gum tissue and bone as conventional bridges and dentures do, dental implants reside in the jaw, exercising the bone and keeping it strong.
To determine if you're a candidate for this outstanding tooth replacement, Dr. Monaco does a complete oral examination, X-rays. He wants to see if your oral health is good and if your jaw bone is dense enough to accept the dental implant. If it is, he'll perform the treatment right in his office using simple local anesthetic.
How does an implant work?
The typical single-tooth implant has three parts:
- A titanium implant screw or cylinder
- A metal alloy abutment which extends above the gums
- A lifelike porcelain crown which the dentist bonds to the abutment to restore the dental implant
Inserted through a small hole created in the jaw, the implant bonds with the bone. How does this happen? The secret is a process called osseointegration. Over several weeks to months of healing, the implant and bone become virtually inseparable. After the abutment and crown are attached, osseointegration continues as the patient bites and chews on the new tooth.
Does an implant last?
Whether you receive one dental implant or several to support a denture or bridge, expect the device to stay in place for decades. However, you must practice diligent oral hygiene:
- Brush twice a day for two minutes
- Floss daily
- Get six-month check-ups and hygienic cleanings with Dr. Monaco
Good hygiene avoids plaque and tartar build-up. This is important because, while dental implants cannot decay, the surrounding gum tissue and bone could degrade when oral bacteria proliferate. The resulting infection, peri-implantitis, resembles advanced gum disease. It can loosen dental implants.
No more gaps?
It's possible with state-of-the-art dental implants from St Louis' own Dr. John Monaco. Please contact Dr. Monaco's office to arrange your consultation: (314) 892-5343.
Are you wondering what these popular restorations could do for your oral health?
It isn’t always easy to decide which kind of restoration your smile will need. Luckily, we don’t expect you to come in knowing all the answers. Our St. Louis, MO, dentist, Dr. John Monaco, will be able to examine your smile and determine what your smile needs to be its healthiest. If we’ve recently recommended getting a dental crown, you may be curious to learn more about this restoration and what it will do to boost your smile’s strength and appearance.
What is a dental crown?
As you may already know (or at least already guessed) a dental crown is designed to look just like the crown of a real tooth. This restoration is shaped like a tooth but is hollow on the inside, that way it can easily be fitted over your tooth to change its appearance or restore strength and function if a tooth has become damaged or weak. A crown is a great protective barrier for a tooth and can even preserve it for years to come.
What are the benefits of crowns?
If our St. Louis general dentist has recommended that you get a dental crown, you may be wondering what it can do for your smile. There are so many benefits you will receive when you get a crown including:
- A tooth that has an improved shape, color, size or length
- A tooth that is now stronger because it has something reliable around it to protect it
- A tooth that is no longer discolored and matches the rest of your smile
- A restoration that can support a dental bridge to replace one or more missing teeth
- A restoration that can also be used to cover a dental implant to treat tooth loss
- A restoration that provides more support and stability for a tooth when a dental filling has failed
Do you have questions about getting dental crowns in St. Louis, MO? If so, we are here to answer all of your questions. Don’t hesitate to call Dr. Monaco today to schedule your cosmetic consultation. Getting a beautiful smile isn’t difficult when you have a dentist you can trust.
Dental Implants Help Restore Function to Your Bite
Your Saint Louis Dentist Explains How Implants Work
Advantages of Dental Implants
- Improved Appearance: Dental implants look and feel just like your own teeth.
- Improved Comfort: Implants are securely anchored, so there is no slipping as there is with dentures. This eliminates some of the key inconveniences of dentures, including poor fit, gum irritation, and pain.
- Improved Health: Dental implants can help prevent deterioration of the jawbone caused by loss of teeth, so your face retains its natural shape.
- Durability: Implants are strong and can last a lifetime with proper care.
- Convenience: Unlike dentures, dental implants are permanent, eliminating the inconvenience of removing your dentures. With implants, you can brush and care for your teeth just as you would your natural teeth.